Monday, March 15, 2010

Coaching = Teaching




I was talking with a parent of one of my youth athletes, and our discussion about Coach(es) reminded me of an article that Big Joe Hashey put out about a year ago...
For me Coaching High School and Middle School kids is an HONOR, and something I Love doing. It's really not work to me, because the reward of seeing these young men and women change their physiques is beyond explanation. Along with the physical change comes an even bigger Mental change in confidence and maturity.

I believe being a Coach is much like a Teacher in a class room, except I utilize weights and odd objects to shape minds and bodies. Meerly watching a teenager that has never been in a weight room, and showing them how to adapt to their own bodyweight strength and then adding weight to the process is amazing! I can honestly say this is what I was destined to do...but along with this job comes much responsibility. Parents trust in me their childs development and their future success.

Coaches must make right decisions on how to train, communicate and teach these young people. We must be the EXAMPLE, in all areas as well. The athletes are watching us at all times, so we must show them how to Be, Do and Have success inside and outside our training facilities. "To Whom much is Given, much is Expected."

Big Joe has some great points in his article, but what tied it all together is the video attached to his topic. You see, Physical contact between adults and kids is a very touchy subject, and it is not a flexible issue for me! If a Coach is disrespected or frustrated to a point that he / she cannot communicate effectively with an Athlete, then the relationship must be severed. There can be no growth, if there is no longer any trust between both parties. In this video, I believe the boundary is crossed, stepped on and simply ignored!

Please read Joe's article and WATCH THE VIDEO!!!!! and then post your comments, either on my blog or Joe's.

Are You Building Up or Breaking Down...

Get STRONG!

2 comments:

Steve Morris of Explosive Football Training said...

Excellent. Too much of this bullshit going on today. Screaming at some kid does nothing to make them better.


And, you're 100% right...a coach is exactly like a teacher. Would anyone accept a history teacher screaming F-bombs and slapping their students?

Mike Rojas said...

I appreciate the feedback brotha...